14 February 2007

meet marco


Meet Marco, the World Vision child I've just signed up this past weekend to sponsor. He's 4 years old, and on my birthday this year, he will be turning 5!

I'm really excited to get my 'sponsorship welcome package', which normally includes a letter from the child and a picture. I guess he's too young to write anything now, so I'm probably going to get something written by a volunteer...but nonetheless, I can't wait.

Alex has sponsored two kids for a while now, and I'd always been a bit skeptical about the organization and where the money is going. So instead of hanging around feeling suspicious, I went on the website and found their most recent annual report (signed off by KPMG). Apparently, they allocate ~85% of their cash inflows to helping these children at their project sites. It looks kinda fishy that there is a lot of free cash to the organization's name, so I hope they'll be actively allocating that cash every year!

Working from home today, and the World Vision thing is on - Alex Trebek hosting, weird - and it's so sad!!! It makes me feel good to be helping someone, and if it's as good as they make it look, I hope I will be giving these children more opportunities.

More to come when I get Marco's story in the mail!

0 comments: