25 September 2008

Nyac


This makes me ridiculously sad: Nyac, my favourite otter at the Vancouver Aquarium, passed away due to leukemia on Tuesday evening.

Nyac was the famous otter holding Milo's hands on YouTube, and Nyac was also the oldest otter at the Aquarium. She was great to watch and I loved visiting her. I would stand there and watch the otters all day if I could.

Nyac was recued from the Exxon Valdez spill, which the vets at the Aquarium think might've played a role in giving her leukemia (one more reason to hate oil companies?). She was 20 years old, which is about five years more than the average otter age.

I'm biased because I love otters, but still, how could this little thing not capture your heart?

I would find more pictures of Nyac that I took if I could, but they're not on my work computer like I thought they were.

I frantically searched my fridge today for the magnet I got of Nyac and Milo when I was in Vancouver in June, and couldn't find it! Turned out my cleaning lady hid it under another magnet when she was cleaning. My coworker Diane, who has the other magnet I got, called and told me hers was face down on her desk this morning - the first time it had been moved since I gave it to her in early July. Maybe our magnets were mourning too.

1 comments:

Allie said...

Hey thanks for linking me! You're now linked too :)

Sorry about your otter :(

BTW, are you in Vancouver or no or??... because you are so Vancouver.

Cheers and lots of love,

Allie