21 November 2008

are you kidding me?

I have problems with people who can't spell definitely.
- it's a word we see daily and you can't be arsed to remember how the letters line up next to each other in the correct order??

I have problems with people who think their creative license allows them to "bypass" grammar rules.
- then what's the point of the little brown handbook that is neither little nor brown? it doesn't matter who you are, you sound less educated when you think you can start sentences with "and" just because it sounds better/more clever.

I have major problems with people who overhype the twilight series
- i bought the first book so i could see what the hype is all about, and i would know what i'm watching when i go see the movie with sexy cedric (from harry potter, thank you very much). the writing made me cringe. it was so elementary. maybe she did an overly good job of personifying a teenage girl but it just lacked depth and i can't believe i am going to say this, "thought leadership". it was all so superficial that yeah, you feel like you're there, but you're there in a two dimensional picture! ughh. you could also tell that there was some awkward thesaurus use. remember when you were in grade 8 and you had to write a paper and you thought it would be really clever to go and find a thesaurus so you can replace words in your paper with "big words"? yeah, that's what the author did here. some words just don't make sense. it's like instead of me saying i'm a little sad today, all of a sudden i'm "poignant". say what? i am not exaggerating when i say i flipped through most of the book, getting the jist (which i do have to admit is interesting), but not reading the horrendous piece of non-literature.

To be fair, I'll let you be the judge. Here's an excerpt.

It was impossible, being in this house, not to realize that Charlie had never gotten over my mom. It made me uncomfortable.

I didn't want to be too early to school, but I couldn't stay in the house anymore. I donned my jacket - which had the feel of a biohazard suit - and headed out into the rain.

My favourite word in this excerpt is definitely "don" as a verb.

"How old are you?"
"Seventeen" he answered promptly.
"And how long have you been seventeen?"
His lips twitched as he stared at the road, "A while", he admitted at last.
"Okay", I smiled, pleased that he was still being honest with me. He stared down at me with watchful eyes, much as he had before when he'd been worried that I would go into shock. I smiled wider in encouragment, and he frowned.
"Don't laugh but how can you come out during the daytime?"
He laughed anyway, "Myth"
"Burned by the sun?"
"Myth"
"Sleeping in coffins"
"Myth", he hesitated for a moment, and a peculiar tone entered his voice. "I can't sleep."
It took me a moment to absorb that, "At all?"
"Never", he said, his voice nearly inaudible. He turned to look at me with a wistful expression. His golden eyes held mine and I lost my train of thought. I stared at him until he looked away.
"You haven't asked me the most important question yet." His voice was hard now and when he looked at me his eyes were cold. "
I blinked, still dazed, "Which one is that?"
"You aren't concerned about my diet?" he asked sarcastically.
"Oh", I murmered, "that"
"Yes that", His voice was bleak, "Don't you want to know if I drink blood?"

Okay, wow, how many adverbs did you need after each "he said" or "she said"s?

Why am I so irked about all this? See picture below. All I have to say is, BAH.


First of all, freaking idiot headline writers, give your facts context!! The last Harry Potter was released in 2007, and it sold 8.3 million copies in the first 24 hours in the US. THE US ALONE! I suspect the data provided is Chapters/Indigo data only, and sorry to break it to you Onex/Indigo jerks, but nobody cares about the sales at your company and your company alone for these books. In 2007, there was only one Harry Potter released, and the previous release was TWO WHOLE YEARS AGO that obviously by 2007 people would've purchased all the books they needed in the series. So Indigo has compared the sales of one book to a whole freaking series of books. ARRRGGGHHH.

1 comments:

Lori said...

I'm with you on the definitely thing. I mean, doesn't the red spell check line mean anything to these people?

I am afraid I may have started a sentence or two with "and", however... don't hate me!